We have moved to GitHub Issues
Created by Shannon Deminick 09 Aug 2017, 12:24:24 Updated by Mads Rasmussen 10 Sep 2017, 16:05:36
Relates to: U4-10156
Subtask of: UAASSCRUM-1073
Currently we just render the start nodes which can be confusing especially if both start nodes are named the same.
Instead when rendering the normal content/media trees we'll look up the 'site' nodes for each start node and deduplicate them, then render out the tree based on those start nodes.
We'll inject some metadata into each node to tell the UI how to interact wi the tree node.
On this one, I'd been starting to think about it having read the [discussion on the forum|https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/87335-umbraco-77-thoughts-regarding-users-and-groups]. But is seems there are some single site scenarios where this issue would still arise (such as the "Hospital website" example in the linked discussion).
Given that, I was taken with [this suggestion|https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/87335-umbraco-77-thoughts-regarding-users-and-groups#comment-276909] of having custom labels or suffixes for start nodes that could be set by the person managing the user accounts. So, continuing with that example, you could have the user seeing clearly labelled start nodes of "Cardiology news", "Radiology news" etc. Thoughts?
If we show the 'site' nodes, you cannot have 2x 'site' nodes with the same name so I can't see there being any confusion.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intention, but the "Hospital website" example (second one on the discussion linked above) is only for a single site, but with several "News" sections. So trying to create a user that can manage "News" sections would presumably still show the problem of multiple start nodes with the same name, and with no "site" to disambiguate them?
Yes so the 'Hospitalwebsite' example if you had 2x start nodes Hospitalwebsite/Departments/Cardiology/News and Hospitalwebsite/Departments/Radiology/News , then we'd lookup the 'site' node for both of those nodes and deduplicate (as per notes above), meaning that the tree will start from the 'Hospitalwebsite' root node. We will then disable any nodes that cannot be clicked on their way down to the actual start nodes.
Ah understood, that'll work, hadn't realised you were intending to have the editor click through the levels down to find the actual start node. Just to say then I had started having a look at the alternative "custom labels for each start node" idea, so if for any reason you do go back to that let me know and can look to finish off.
@Shandem Will the tree then auto-expand to the actual start node?
@mads this is ready for review. Here's a quick video of it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTd932ueToo
Can you please test it works as expected and also fix up the crappy styling I've done :)
Having this in place should fix this: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10156
@Shandem I have some troubles getting this work.
My test cases:
The start node is Page 2 in both cases.
@madsrasmussen If you only have a single start node, then there's no need for a context is there? That's how I've built it right now. It will only give you the full tree if you have more than one start node. I can change this if you like but doesn't seem like an outer context is required if you only have one starting place.
As for the blank tree, i'll have a look.
@madsrasmussen have pushed an update:
The blank tree is because you've selected a group that doesn't have Browse access to the nodes you are trying to view.
Let me know what you think about the single start node thing i mentioned above too
@Shandem Ah, you are right. I forgot the browse node permission, sorry about that.
I have done some more testing:
I have fixed a couple of smaller issues: js error when saving the user, because of some changes to the reset password and showing the pointer cursor for the more menu item. (see commits)
And when testing this I found out that an URL on each start node would be very helpful (like we do with other content pickers), so I have added a task to get that fixed: U4-10390 I have added it to this sprint now but it is not super important for a 7.7 release.
If you can confirm thats all working lets get this one closed :)
My tests say that everything works. I will merge this is!
Backwards Compatible: True
Due in version: 7.7.0
Sprint: Sprint 67
Story Points: 2