U4-10963 - Missing translations for General Info in 7.8.1.

Created by Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 09:46:51 Updated by Simon Eldevig 13 Feb 2018, 12:22:25

Hello,

After upgrading to 7.8.1 the translations for the redesigned General Info tab is missing which can be seen on attached image.

Tried to run the upgrade again but that didn't help. Any solution for this?

2 Attachments

Comments

Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 10:13:25

The translations are really there and they fall back to English if not available in the language for your backoffice user.

Usually this is a caching issue, also check for javascript errors. For general upgrade problem guidance also check: https://cultiv.nl/blog/how-to-diagnose-umbraco-upgrade-problems/

I'll close this for now unless this is somehow reproducible and we've missed something (that happens sometimes but after a lot of upgrades on different environments/languages we haven't seen this problem yet).


Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 10:38:08

Hi @sebastiaan,

Thank you for the quick answer.

I've tried to delete the cache/cookies in the browser. I also deleted all files in temp and cache in App_Data + bumped the clientDependency version but it still doesn't work. Also tried a different browser.

Do you have any other suggestions?

The user is set to en_us and I don't get any console erros.


Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 11:43:01

No other suggestions. Can you repro in a fresh install? What language does the logged in user use?


Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 11:46:02

Haven' tried a fresh install, but I'll give et a go. The user is logged in with en_us language


Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 11:48:59

If it works in a clean install and you've set the user to en_us in your clean install then do a compare, probably some missing file or something.


Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 11:56:31

@sebastiaan - just solved the issue by copying all the translations from the downloaded zip to my project and I noticed that there were a us.xml file that was not in the zip. Deleting this and refreshing the cache made it work :-)

I later found out that this xml belongs to the SEOChecker package which were missing the new translations and merging these in solved the problem.


Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 12:04:41

There shouldn't be a us.xml though? Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your site + database?

  1. Zip site + db up using a strong password
  2. Send using WeTransfer to sj@umbraco.dk
  3. Send me the password for the zip file in a comment here (set it Visible to HQ, see screenshot)

Then I can investigate what's wrong as this doesn't sound right. :)


Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 12:07:04

@sebastiaan - I just updated my answer since i found out that it belongs to SEOChecker. It was somehow overwriting the Umbraco translations.


Simon Eldevig 12 Feb 2018, 12:51:27

Hello again @sebastiaan,

It seems that my previous answer can be a bit confusing so just to clarify my findings.

After upgrading Umbraco via Nuget it didn't remove or update the us.xml translation file which caused the issue with the missing translations wasn't in this file.

During the upgrade process it also removed all the SEO Checker package translations in the files, but maybe the package translations should have been placed in ~/app_plugins/mypackage/lang/.xml to avoid this?

The solution was to upgrade via nuget, remove us.xml and the reinstall the SEO Checker package :-)


Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 14:03:11

Aha! Well that's interesting to know @simoneldevig. I'll reach out to Richard to see what could be going on there then, thanks for the info.


Sebastiaan Janssen 12 Feb 2018, 14:40:15

Doesn't look like that's it, SEO Checker doesn't come with translation files and uses resource files to do it's own translations. I suspect you had an old file laying around from a previous upgrade or something.


Simon Eldevig 13 Feb 2018, 12:22:25

Yes, but it stills add these translations upon installation:

<key alias="SEOCheckerSchedule">Add scheduled validation</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerSchedule">Add scheduled validation</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerEditRobots">Edit robots.txt file</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerEditRobots">Edit robots.txt file</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerImportRedirects">Import redirects</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerImportRedirects">Import redirects</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerExportRedirects">Export redirects</key>
<key alias="SEOCheckerExportRedirects">Export redirects</key>


Priority: Normal

Type: Bug

State: Closed

Assignee:

Difficulty: Normal

Category:

Backwards Compatible: True

Fix Submitted:

Affected versions: 7.8.1

Due in version:

Sprint:

Story Points:

Cycle: