U4-1310 - Upgrade from 4.9.1 to 4.10.1 breaks url rewrite

Created by jsbfoobar 11 Dec 2012, 02:01:03 Updated by Jeremy Pyne 13 May 2013, 16:27:49

Relates to: U4-2227

Installed 4.9.1 under the Default web site in IIS 7(.5). Convert the folder to an application. Went through Umbraco setup screens, site works perfectly. Upgraded from 4.9.1 to 4.10.1 per the instructions with the release in Codeplex.Went though the Umbraco setup screens and republished the site. When trying to browse the site, get 404 error on all pages. Note that the url assigned by Umbraco backend is just as would be expected. Clicking on the url in the back end also gives the 404 error. I have not been able to get an umbraco site to run as a child of the default web site. Same issue with 4.11.1

Comments

Sebastiaan Janssen 11 Dec 2012, 16:56:17

Is there any "special" configuration you've done? Are there rewrites in your urlRewriting.config, do you do special redirects in IIS? I understand that you're running this in a virtual directory, correct? I've just been testing that and it all seems to work okay, so I can't reproduce that.

Are you absolutely sure that you updated your web.config properly? You should remove umbracoRequestModule, viewstateMoverModule and umbracoBaseRequestModule in two places. Also see this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R1cYt3a5gJLdhU5wvUsP-7KPaHbCO-gnzm07FRNk51c/edit

Maybe @Stephan has more suggestions for you to try if that isn't it.

I'm going to close this as not reproducible for now, it can be reopened if we get more info to reproduce, thanks!


Kevin Giszewski 21 Dec 2012, 16:47:18

I have the same exact problem. Upgraded to 4.10.1 to fix another bug, but now the entire site is down. We rewrite almost everything for SEO. Will post if I can fix it. Upgraded from 4.9.1.


Kevin Giszewski 21 Dec 2012, 17:20:43

FYI, I could not fix. I rolled back to 4.9.1.

I double checked web.config changes.


Kevin Giszewski 21 Dec 2012, 19:34:56

New wrinkle. I tried 4.11.1. A clean install works fine. But upgrading does not work.


Kevin Giszewski 21 Dec 2012, 19:42:47

I think I've figured it out (maybe). UrlRewriting rules are slightly different between versions perhaps.
virtualUrl="^~/(.)/(.)/pagename$"

This used to work with http://domain/blah/blah/pagename?somequeryitem

new version required the removal of the dollar sign virtualUrl="^~/(.)/(.)/pagename"

Anyways, I upgraded to 4.11.1 and I'm rolling again.


PEter Mason 17 Mar 2013, 03:29:18

If it helps anyone, I found that it matters what order your modules are listed in in the web.config. In the <system.webServer> section, the UrlRewriteModule MUST come before the UmbracoModule. I found that putting the UrlRewriteModule before the UmbracoModule fixed my URLRewriter issues.


Jeremy Pyne 13 May 2013, 16:26:49

"If it helps anyone, I found that it matters what order your modules are listed in in the web.config. In the <system.webServer> section, the UrlRewriteModule MUST come before the UmbracoModule. I found that putting the UrlRewriteModule before the UmbracoModule fixed my URLRewriter issues."

--Ditto, this note should be added to the upgrade document because it bit us int he ass, and will likely affect many others.


Priority: Normal

Type: Bug

State: Can't Reproduce

Assignee:

Difficulty: Normal

Category:

Backwards Compatible: True

Fix Submitted:

Affected versions:

Due in version:

Sprint:

Story Points:

Cycle: