We have moved to GitHub Issues
Created by firepol 24 Jun 2013, 16:35:03 Updated by Shannon Deminick 24 Jul 2013, 02:56:23
I had a document type with a property "Date Picker". In the validation I had a sentence such as "Plese remember to pick up a date". That was wrong, I wanted to put that in the "Description" not in the validation... but for months this didn't give me any problem (on umbraco 4.11). After upgrding to 6.1.1 I suddenly got problems when publishing.
I was always getting "Publishing was cancelled by 3rd party add-on error". I had a uComponents property, deleted it because I thought this would be the external plugin messing up, and always got this problem. I debugged an entire afternoon to find out this little mistake in my property.
So I think, to save a huge amount of time to other developers who may encounter the same problem, it would be good to correct the error message.
The problem here is that the validation of a property didn't pass.
Solution / Expected result: show a PRECISE error message. E.g.:
Publishing was canceled because the Property "Date Picker" didn't pass the validation; property xyz didn't pass.
So this bug reports affects 2 things:
Date Picker validation (why does this fire a 3rd party plugin add-on error, which is absolutely not the case and made me crazy to debug other plugins for nothing)
Publish error handling: as suggested before, if a property is giving problems, include that problem in the error message instead of showing a generic and wrong error message.
@firepol You don't happen to have the log file for when this happened, do you? I can't reproduce this problem in 6.1.3 and I don't think we fixed it. So if you can reproduce then check ~/App_Data/Logs to find out if there's related errors in the log file. Additionally, Shannon will look into adding the problematic datatype to the error message in the balloon.
I cannot replicate this issue in 6.1.3. Both the required and the regex validation work as expected in the UI for the date picker and date picker with time. Not sure if something was fixed between 6.1.1 and 6.1.3 but I can definitely not replicate and have tried your exact "Plese remember to pick up a date" text as the regex validation string.
Now, on to why the msg shows up: "Publishing was cancelled by 3rd party add-on error". Unfortunately this message is no longer 100% accurate, though it used to be. Previous to 6.1 publishing would continue for a node and any child nodes (if that checkbox was selected) even if validation of the entity failed (which is certainly not good). So we've fixed that but unfortunately the editContent.aspx page was not updated to handle the result of this and instead still continues to show this message since it assumes the publishing was cancelled which is not the case. I'll update the editContent.aspx page to check for the correct publish state and show the correct error message if it was validation that failed. That said, all of the validation for our own UI components are working correctly within the UI, some 3rd party components might not have their data type created correctly which means that the UI doesn't show the validation but if they are trying to publish you'll get a message bubble explaining that validation has failed. Currently the status returned from the publishing service doesn't tell us what validation has failed, just that it has. I'll see if we can change that.
I've fixed this all up in revision: 7f4abb48935f0529d8ca03ce3c8b9bdeb58f6884
Now if a 3rd party property editor doesn't have the validation wired up properly to the UI and validation fails when trying to publish you'll get the correct error message bubble which will describe which properties failed validation. This should generally not happen if the property editors are created correctly though.
Assignee: Shannon Deminick
Backwards Compatible: True
Affected versions: 6.1.1, 6.1.2
Due in version: 6.1.3