U4-6085 - Deleting image files, then deleting image references cause app pool to crash

Created by Matthew 08 Jan 2015, 22:37:54 Updated by Shannon Deminick 26 Jun 2017, 07:08:47

What did you do?

  • Uploaded an image to the media folder in Umbraco.
  • Selected the uploaded image, opening the properties window.
  • Checked the box to 'Remove file(s)', then hit Save.
  • Clicked Delete under the Actions drop-down to remove the Umbraco reference.

What did you expect to happen? I expected to remove the image file, then remove the Umbraco reference without issue.

What actually happened? After attempting to navigate off the Media tab, the back-office failed to retrieve any data from the server. I got an error stating that Umbraco 'failed to retrieve application data for tree'. Attempting to view the site on the front-end gave me server 500 errors.

It seems that the actions I took managed to crash the application pool, requiring me to restart the site. I've tested this multiple times and it always seems to happen right when I delete the Media reference to a file that has been deleted.

My setup is: The site files are placed directly on the server, which is a VM running Windows Server 2012 r2 with IIS 7.5. I've attached my log file for further reference, though the errors seemed rather general. The server itself was not returning any errors when the app pool crashed.

2 Attachments

Download UmbracoTraceLog.txt

Download UmbracoTraceLog.txt

Comments

Matthew 09 Jan 2015, 15:17:22

Having some more problems with the application getting shutdown. This time it happened after some seemingly vanilla content updates and a Save and Publish.

I've noticed that in my log files for today and yesterday, Archetype is spitting out several 'value cannot be null' errors. This doesn't result in an application shutdown, but it might be important nonetheless. When the app shuts down, the errors that pop up most often are with ScheduledPublishing.

Here are the relevant logs for this latest error: 2015-01-09 10:10:00,764 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive - [Thread 49] Error in ping System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.KeepAlive.Start(ApplicationContext appContext, IUmbracoSettingsSection settings) 2015-01-09 10:10:00,905 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 179] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run() 2015-01-09 10:10:51,186 [33] INFO umbraco.BusinessLogic.Log - [Thread 178] Log scrubbed. Removed all items older than 2014-11-10 10:10:51 2015-01-09 10:11:00,921 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 160] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run() 2015-01-09 10:12:00,921 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 53] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run() 2015-01-09 10:12:17,593 [33] INFO umbraco.BusinessLogic.Log - [Thread 179] Log scrubbed. Removed all items older than 2014-11-10 10:12:17 2015-01-09 10:13:00,937 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 168] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run() 2015-01-09 10:13:44,000 [33] INFO umbraco.BusinessLogic.Log - [Thread 55] Log scrubbed. Removed all items older than 2014-11-10 10:13:44 2015-01-09 10:14:00,953 [33] ERROR Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing - [Thread 160] An error occurred with the scheduled publishing System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request) at System.Net.WebClient.UploadString(Uri address, String method, String data) at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.ScheduledPublishing.Run()


Samuel Benkovič 02 Mar 2015, 13:59:29

do you have this issue in umbraco 7.2.2 ?


Matthew 02 Mar 2015, 21:04:48

I have not updated to 7.2.2 yet but am in progress of doing that now.

I think this issue may have been due to our load balanced setup. We weren't following [https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/load-balancing this guide] as well as we should have. Once we made some adjustments, I started receiving fewer errors.


Shannon Deminick 26 Jun 2017, 07:08:48

Closing issue due to inactivity - see blog post for details https://umbraco.com/blog/issue-tracker-cleanup/


Priority: Major

Type: Bug

State: Closed

Assignee:

Difficulty: Normal

Category:

Backwards Compatible: True

Fix Submitted:

Affected versions: 7.2.1

Due in version:

Sprint:

Story Points:

Cycle: